Physician wellness, physician well-being, professional fulfillment, resilience, and burnout are all terms used frequently these days. SFMMS has recently re-established a Physician Wellness Committee to identify and evaluate the many resources currently available, identify unmet needs in the local physician community, and recommend strategies for SFMMS to address those needs and support our local physicians.
Here are some of the resources available:
- CMA's Confidential Line: (213) 383-2691 - a confidential service dedicated to assisting physicians and dentists who may feel overwhelmed by aspects of their personal or professional lives. All calls are completely confidential. Callers are quickly connected to a physician or dentist with extensive experience in helping health professionals having problems with stress, substance abuse or mental health issues. Callers receive the support and referrals needed to better manage whatever issues with which they may be struggling.
- CMA Wellness - a subsidiary of the California Medical Association, CMA's wellness initiative (CMA Wellness) believes physician well-being and professional fulfillment are critical factors in maintaining patient access to quality care, and we must address this challenge at the organizational and systemic level while providing innovative resources to help physicians prevent or address burnout. In January 2021, SFMMS will continue it's collaboration with CMA Wellness to offer local programs related to wellness, including discussion groups. Check back for updates!
- Care 4 Caregivers Now - CMA’s wellness initiative (CMA Wellness) launched Care 4 Caregivers Now (C4CN) in March 2020 to help health care workers manage the unprecedented emotional burnout endured by responding to the COVID-19 crisis. C4CN provides free and confidential peer coaching from trained medical practitioners who understand the rigors and emotional stresses of the profession – and who know the value of a safe, confidential and non-judgmental space. Many peer coaches utilize the program and receive ongoing support because of the value they derive from it.
- SFMMS Physician Wellness Committee - With the goal of nourishing and sustaining our physician members, during the fall of 2020, SFMMS gathered a physician workgroup to focus on the re-launch of our Physician Wellness Committee in January 2021. This ohysician driven committee will provide a variety of offerings focused on nourishing our members through social, educational, and professional development events. For more information, contact SFMMS Director of Engagement, Molly Baldridge at email@example.com.
- SFMMS Facebook Group - SFMMS has set up a Facebook group where we will share resources, events and coordinate local meet ups for Bay Area physicians who are seeking connection and community with colleagues.
- American Medical Association Physician Health - the AMA offers articles and practical resources for address physician health and reducing burnout, including a 'burnout management tip of the week' you can subscribe to and receive in your email box each week.
- SFMMS Women in Medicine Program - SFMMS is developing a Women in Medicine Program that will launch later in 2020.
- MIEC Wellness - offering a toolbox of resources for physicians and their practice, whether it’s to improve the administrative efficiency of their office or access the appropriate wellness tools for themselves and other staff. The site also includes access to the Mayo Clinic's Well-Being Index and a confidential wellness tracking tool.
This list of resources will be updated regularly so check back often!
Stay tuned for SFMMS Physician Wellness events in January 2021. To see a list of our current offerings, visit our Events page.